Monday, December 15, 2008

Secret Millionaire



I stumbled upon a new Fox series last week. It had the same philanthropic feel of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition." I found myself wondering if the network could write the whole series off as charitable giving.

I digress. The show, "Secret Millionaire," transplanted a multi-millionaire into an impoverished, urban neighborhood. He was given $14 a day to live on, and his goal was to walk in the shoes of the less fortunate and then give away $100K.

So, after the millionaire volunteered at soup kitchens and sat down with those less fortunate a la "Good Times," he learned the joys of giving back and provided some much-needed assistance to his new friends.

I hope the series ends with a reunion show or "Where Are They Now?" segment. I'd like to know if those given the money were actually able to make better lives for themselves. In today's economy, $100K doesn't go as far as it used to.

I'll probably tune in again next week. It's a feel good show that makes you grateful for what you have and want to give to somebody else.

It airs Thursdays of Fox. Check it out.

No comments: