Monday, July 21, 2008

Is Degrassi Too De-Grown Up?



I'm a "Degrassi" fan from the '80s. Back then, I was the same age as Spike, Joey and Snake, who are all now parents on the show. When "Degrassi: The Next Generation" started, it followed the lives of the original characters' kids, who were just entering junior high. Now, those "kids" are on their way to college. They've lived through a school shooting, rape, cyber stalkers, several eating disorders, cancer, homophobia, alcoholism and drug use ... and that was all in the first episode!

So, now that the students are off to college, I can only imagine what the subject matter will turn to. What I wonder is whether the show is still kid friendly. It airs at 8 p.m., but would I want my kid watching shows with such grown-up storylines? I guess the creators would argue that it's the real world for some teens. That's a scary thought, and if I were a parent, I'd slip in a VHS of "Mary Poppins" during a commercial break. What's wrong with a little dose of TV fantasy?

What do you think? Have you seen the show? Are today's teen shows too grown up, or are they dealing with important, real-life issues?

No comments: